Monday, August 19, 2013

REFLECTION ON WEEK 1

1) No, I do not believe that there will be any factors that will effect my participation or experience in this class. I will forget to post now and then (as I have already proven...), but there are no external variables that will inhibit me from completing my work.

2) I learn so many things so frequently that it is nearly impossible for me to isolate one instance as my "best ever learning experience". To be honest, most of the best learning experiences that I have undergone occurred not in a desk at school, but within my own mind. I am very obsessive by nature so, consequentially; it is impossible for me to think about certain thoughts/ideas/philosophies without them completely commandeering my mind. I have spent an enumerable amount of nights laying awake pondering  topics like the ones aforementioned in my "Big Question" post, and looking at them from every angle I can possibly imagine. I believe that simply keeping an open mind and exploring some of the endless possibilities that are out there can really teach a person a lot. Having a "one-dimensional" outlook and rejecting any ideas that aren't perfectly aligned with one's given beliefs is not only incredibly ignorant, but also mentally unhealthy (as I have learned from personal experience). This is primarily directed towards religion and politics, but just as well applies to any other subject.

3) What I am most excited about in this class is doing exactly this; expressing my thoughts freely instead of pumping out mechanized essays from a rigid prompt. Being able to write about what is actually going through my mind instead of having to do a literary analysis on a product manual (I have gotten that on one of the state tests... I wish I was joking...) is an opportunity that we are seldom given in school, and one that I am very excited about. As far as learning goes, I am definitely looking forward to touching up my writing skills. I consider myself a pretty decent writer, but there is always room for improvement. I hope to correct any poor spelling/grammar/punctuation habits that I have, enhance my vocabulary, and especially learn how to best word things in order to get my point across in the most elegant, yet concise way possible.    

No comments:

Post a Comment