Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I, ENTREPRENEUR

The blatant lack of effort being displayed by many of my peers caused class to fall apart today, and we never finished the conversation that was to serve as the premise for this assignment. I will attempt to answer the questions as best I can regardless of this unfortunate turn of events.

"...describe three things: (a) how the expert you designed the 10 questions for is or isn't an entrepreneur according to how we defined it in class; (b) how you are or are not an entrepreneur according to how we defined it in class; and (c) how this culture associates expertise with entrepreneurship, and how you think this idea should be reinforced or changed."

(a) Class was interrupted just before we defined entrepreneurship, so I will substitute in my own definition for the sake of this assignment. I think it's safe to say that most people would describe "being an entrepreneur" as operating a business/enterprise with the intent of turning a profit. I, on the other hand, believe that this idea of an entrepreneur is a bit too limiting; for I consider anyone who seeks to distribute an original idea of any sort to be an entrepreneur. According to this definition, any experts in fields related to my topic are undoubtedly entrepreneurs so long as they publish or otherwise make available their work.

(b) My definition has made this question somewhat difficult for me to answer... While I have, of course, expressed "original" ideas (original as in my own - not original as in unique or interesting) via this blog and other outlets, none of them have possessed enough practical value for me to deem them entrepreneurial. Furthermore, knowing that few or no people will actually come into contact with with the material I post on this blog or anywhere else, I cannot say that I have actually posted anything with the intent of distributing it. For these reasons and many others, I am not an entrepreneur, though I hope to change that in the future. 

(c) Expertise is a crucial component of successful entrepreneurship. That is not to say that an impressive formal education is required, but rather an advanced level of knowledge/aptitude in a given area. Any individual can pitch his/her ideas, but the ideas must be good in order for anyone to benefit from them, and a certain expertise is required for the ideas to be good. This is not a manufactured effect, but rather a necessary result that can be neither changed, nor reinforced.    

No comments:

Post a Comment