Wednesday, September 25, 2013

THE VALUE OF CHOICE

(a): I read through the unit on "The Value of Life" and, to be honest, none of the topics really jumped out at me. I had hoped to find one that that I significantly lack experience/comfort with, but I feel fairly confident with all of the topics that were addressed. I am choosing "Thinking Critically" simply because I believe that it is the most important skill/concept in the given curriculum and, therefore, the most generally beneficial.

(b): Currently, the only skill that I seek to learn/improve is public speaking. As is the case with most people, public speaking does not come naturally to me, nor do I enjoy it. This was made especially evident during today's "Socratic Seminar". I understood the text that we discussed perfectly and could've easily written an elegant response/analysis on it. As soon as I started talking, however, something happened. Every point that I was about to make completely escaped me, I began stuttering, and everything from vocabulary to basic sentence structure was lost. This verbal holocaust served as a brutal, yet valuable lesson. I now know that, while it has nothing to do with the unit, this is what I need to focus on.

No comments:

Post a Comment