Thursday, October 31, 2013

FILTER BUBBLES

Prior to watching the video, I already knew that nearly everything that happens on the Internet is being monitored and databased. This blatant compromise of personal privacy is so appalling that, sadly enough, I am not the least bit surprised to learn that such information is now being used to meddle with our search results. Fortunately, Eli Pariser decided to take a stand at TED and bring awareness to this problem. I can only hope that the perpetrators (Google, FaceBook, etc.) will listen and restore the integrity that they have taken away from the Internet. Pariser's speech definitely left me with a different outlook on the Internet. I had always viewed the Internet as an expansive, diverse pool of information, available to anyone at anytime. Now that this officious filtering has corrupted even the most basic search processes, however, one is forced to question the veracity of his/her findings whilst surfing the web. Although I strongly oppose any form of filtering or censorship, this honestly doesn't affect me too much. I don't often find myself browsing the Internet without a clear objective. When I do wish to search in broader terms, however, I use the "Duck Duck Go" search engine that Dr. Preston told us about a few weeks ago to avoid any unwanted inference with my results.    

No comments:

Post a Comment