Thursday, October 31, 2013

TOOLS THAT CHANGE THE WAY WE THINK

If used properly, the Internet can be an amazing learning tool. In the push-button society that we live in, almost everyone has unhampered access to a truly vast amount of information via the Internet. Those who are willing and able need only to tap into that information in order to learn more rapidly than was ever possible in previous eras. While this can trivialize certain tasks, possibly diminishing problem solving skills, it can also connect people with ideas that never would have come to their attention otherwise. So, of course, as with everything, there are pros and cons to the Internet (in terms of learning). I do feel, though, that the Internet is collectively beneficial in said area. Other components of our current social infrastructure--not so much. Take media, for example. Any integrity that the media once had is long gone in my eyes. I can either read a bunch of exploitative, one-sided propaganda, or I can read about Justin Beiber getting a new cell phone. There isn't much to be found in between without a thorough search. Regardless, I do feel that, in general, technology is pushing us in a positive direction. Funny--only a few months ago, I had no faith whatsoever in humanity and I NEVER would've put forth such an optimistic statement. Listening to Dr. Preston's class lectures has really changed my perspective and, now that I'm viewing things under a more positive light, I am able to have a small amount of hope despite the overwhelming mass of problems with our species and our civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment