Thursday, October 24, 2013

LITERATURE ANALYSIS #3 (The Conscious Mind: In Search of a Fundamental Theory by David Chalmers)


TOPIC(S) and/or EVENT(S)

1) a. (initial thoughts of “what the book is about”): The Conscious Mind, by  David Chalmers, is a philosophical work about “the hard problem of consciousness”. That is, the problem of explaining how consciousness (as in phenomenal experience) can be entailed by physical processes. Attempting to paraphrase and give a concise summary of the book, such as I have done with my two previous literature analyses, would be futile considering that it took Chalmers 433 pages of cumulative, interconnected logic and deep philosophy to pin down (as in merely identify/expound, not answer) the question/problem that he proposed. While I cannot even begin to convey Chalmers’ elaborate arguments with my own words, I can describe the problem itself a bit further. If asked, most people would say that consciousness is generated by neural activity in the brain. This is a common misconception. Cognitive functioning is completely different from consciousness (again, consciousness in the sense of phenomenal experience). Even defining consciousness is extremely difficult but, luckily, Chalmers provided a pretty good depiction of it towards the beginning of the book. To do this, he breaks the mind down into two different divisions: phenomenal and psychological. The psychological parts of the mind are the supervenient on the physical, reductively explainable, cognitive processes that are without a doubt generated by the brain. The phenomenal aspects, however, are much more intangible. Thoughts, feelings, beliefs, experiences, what something is like—abstractions such as these that fail to supervene (both logically and naturally) on the physical and that cannot be reductively explained are considered “phenomenal”. It is the phenomenal aspects that are important here because, collectively, they almost entirely comprise consciousness. The gist here is that, both individually and collectively, these phenomenal aspects are irreducible, and inexplicable by normal, epistemological means. Thus, the main basis of the book: introducing this problem, providing evidence and arguments for it, and explaining why it is unlikely that any theory could ever solve this problem in its entirety.
     
   b. (One clear statement boiling down my initial thoughts): The Conscious Mind, by David Chalmers, is a philosophical work about how we have been, and are likely to remain unable to explain consciousness in physical terms.

2) Chalmers wrote The Conscious Mind to organize and put forth the theories and arguments that he and his colleagues had been working on for many years. According to the introduction, Chalmers’ fascination with consciousness quickly consumed him and transformed from an interest, to a life’s work. The result—a brilliant piece that openly and thoroughly addresses the difficult issues that most scientists/philosophers cower away from and sweep under the rug.

3) I chose this book because I felt that it would be a nice next step in my quest to read difficult books and write analyses on them the night before they’re due… In all seriousness, I chose this book because the subject matter is absolutely central to my interests. I’ve been intrigued by consciousness since before I even knew what it was so, needless to say, when I came across a highly-recommended book entitled The Conscious Mind, it instantly appealed to me. This book was brought to my attention by a reference in my last “literature analysis book”, Proof Of Heaven by Dr. Eben Alexander. While I found The Conscious Mind to be supremely interesting, I’m not going to lie; it wasn’t one of those books that I just couldn’t put down. The difficulty, the complexity, and the sheer length of the book made it tough to get through at times. Such is the nature of the beast with books of this sort though, so I knew what I was getting myself into. I must say, however, that this book was particularly challenging. I would not recommend it for the faint of heart.

4) I absolutely found The Conscious Mind realistic. The central arguments were tied together with impeccable, air-tight logic; creating a very compelling case. Because many of the ideas that Chalmers proposed were new and/or unfamiliar, he placed a lot of focus on solidifying the veracity of his claims. And solidify he did; he truly accounted for every angle in assembling his argument. As a very meticulous individual myself, I have a deep respect for the amount of effort that was put into making The Conscious Mind the textual fortress that it is. *An interesting side-note relating to this: The Conscious Mind was published in 1996, yet it is possibly the only abstract/controversial book I have read that, when searched on Google, yields no accusations of being anti-scientific. In fact, I could find no noteworthy rebuttals whatsoever. Some tepid reviews were present, of course, but no one seemed to contend the information itself.*

PEOPLE 

There were NO characters at all in The Conscious Mind.

STYLE

1) I do not remember encountering any tools from fictional writing in The Conscious Mind. Chalmers used some analogies to help readers relate to what he was saying and to help connect different arguments, but that was the extent of his literary device usage. Unfortunately, I read The Conscious Mind on a Nook, and I am not willing to painstakingly click through the 2,000+ Nook slides that make up the book in order to search for specific examples.

2) Chalmers didn’t use lengthy descriptions of places or people, nor did he focus on action or dialog. This is because none of those elements are even present in The Conscious Mind. The book consists entirely of philosophical, logical reasoning, with a subtle pinch of intuition. This choice dried the book out immensely, of course, but it was the author’s only real option if he wanted the book to be effective (which it undoubtedly is).

3) To be honest, there wasn’t even a mood (that I picked up on) to The Conscious Mind. There was no story being told, only information being provided and arguments being made. The text had an expository “feel” to it, I suppose, but, to me, that is more of a style than a mood (I differentiate the two).

4) The information in the introduction, combined with the quality of this groundbreaking book, leads me to believe that Chalmers is/was very passionate about the subject. Creating such a high caliber philosophical piece takes an extraordinary amount of effort and dedication. That type of drive is simply not found in those who are not inspired by their work.

5) There were very few external resources utilized in The Conscious Mind. The book was constructed solely using the original ideas of Chalmers and his colleagues.




No comments:

Post a Comment