Thursday, February 27, 2014

First Collaborative Efforts

So, my friend Jon noticed a connection between our respective topics (his topic being his venture to become an author, and mine being an investigation into passion, emotion, immersion, etc., and their effects on human pleasure and happiness) and suggested that we take our collaboration beyond simply exchanging feedback and support, as we had been limited to in the past. He proposed that we set up some sort of poll asking the public, essentially, what they get out of popular entertainment, be it a book, a movie, or a television show. He sent me a couple of questions to start, and I fired back some of my own. This is what we have after literally five minutes of emailing:

- Why do you read or watch movies/television?
- How often do you seek that sort of entertainment? 
- What feelings do the shows/movies/books that you most enjoy induce?
- What elements do you think are responsible for those feelings?
- How do those feelings contribute to the experience?
- Do you prefer something intensely engaging, whether through emotional impact or simply through suspense, or something more silly/mindless/relaxing?  What events in your daily life help you make this determination when you peruse the book shelf or pick up the remote?


I have already acknowledged that these questions, particularly the ones I generated, are not well suited for a poll format. We discussed making some simpler questions to be used by a standard, click through, multiple choice poll, while leaving a free-response ballot/questionnaire with a bit deeper, more comprehensive questions as an option for those willing to undertake it.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure if this was supposed to be posted here but:
    - I read/watch television and movies to pass time, it provides me with at least some sort of entertainment when I have nothing better to do. I actually hardly watch television anymore, but watch movies occasionally. I read daily before I go to sleep because I love it.
    - I seek this sort of entertainment usually in the evenings after I get home from practice and am done with my schoolwork.
    - The feelings that these entertainment sources induce are ones that are hard to explain. I guess happiness is one of them. When I do watch a movie it is usually comedy so it lightens my mood a bit. I like books such as LoTR, so that usually induces some fits of extreme imagination.
    - Fantasy books make my imagination go wild because you essentially have to picture what you are reading to get the full experience, it just wouldn't be the same if I wasn't trying to picture it in my head.
    - These feelings are essential to the experience.
    - It really depends on what kind of mood I am in on a certain day. Some days I would rather relax and listen to something that is more soothing and silly. Other days, I can bury myself in the intensity of some movie/book genres. Basically how my day went, If I had a stressful day, I am more likely to want to relax, If I had an easygoing day, might as well bring some intensity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thanks for taking the time to participate!

      Delete